Beginner – Advanced Beginner
The Pendulum Drill is a more advanced-beginner youth soccer drill, used to develop a player’s passing accuracy and collection skills. This is done from a stationary passer to a moving target and has no defensive pressure.
Training Equipment Required:
2 Soccer Balls, 4 Cones per 3 players.
How To Perform This Drill
- Arrange three players on a 10-yard grid.
- Two players stand to one side of the grid, each has a ball.
- A third player is on the opposing side.
- In the unoccupied corner, the player who doesn’t have the ball moves.
- The player on that side passes the ball to her as she moves.
- After collecting the ball and returning it to the player who passed it to her, she then runs to the corner she just left to receive a pass from the other player.
- Players repeat this back-and-forth action for one minute and then switch roles.
- Once players improve their skills, they can play the pendulum game by counting the passes they make per minute.
TIP: Talk to the players about how the amount of force the passer should use to pass the ball to the receiving player affects how much the pass must be led.